We survived our first year as parents of "twins"!

So I haven't posted in a really long time. Life with the "twins" is far more chaotic than I would have imagined possible! Yesterday was our son's "GOTCHA" Day anniversary. (The one-year mark of when we first brought him home.) I didn't think it would be such a big deal to me, but I feel a sense of accomplishment. I'm not sure why - maybe because I actually survived a year with virtual twins! LOL

Last night I was reflecting on the last year of joyous chaos. Initially, when the babies were babies and we were naive parents, people with twins or multiples would tell me "it gets easier in some ways and harder in others." The munchkins turned "1" last month and I think I can say with full certainty: those people lied! LOL It's funny, but it's true. The more mobile the munchkins became, the harder it became to get anything else done. I couldn't put them in their swing or on a blanket on the floor and know they would be in the same place 2 minutes later. I can't fold laundry and put it in a basket on the floor and know it will be there 30 seconds after I put it in the basket. I didn't have to do at least 2 loads of laundry A DAY. Back when the munchkins were less mobile and stubborn: they didn't fight over toys, they didn't push each other down or pull each others hair, they weren't trying to tear down the blinds on the windows or sliding glass door, they weren't picky about what they ate for lunch - and they didn't throw food or bottles across the kitchen if they didn't like or want it. If I had to change one baby's diaper, I knew exactly where the other baby was. Today, they feel like 16 year olds (in one year old bodies) conspiring against Mommy & Daddy!! They really are sneaky. When BabyGirl climbs up the toyshelf, BigBoy keeps a look-out. As soon as he sees Mommy &/or Daddy, he will make a sound to alert BabyGirl that they are caught. BabyGirl will then slowly lower herself back to the ground and they both back away from whatever it is she was climbing. Sneaky!! They're too smart for their own good!!!

Parenthood is amazing, but exhausting, especially with the "Double-Trouble" team. I thought I would sleep more as the kids got older and began to sleep through the night. Nope. Now the things I can't get done while the kids are awake and getting into E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G I have to do after they are in bed. It's a good night if I am able to get to bed by 1:00a.m. and then back up with the kids at 7:00a.m. (I used to be one of those people who didn't function well on less than 8-10 hours of sleep a night!) "Me" time is pretty much non-existent, which is a huge adjustment. It is tough when you don't have a lot of friends and family in the area to help out or give you a break every now and then. Hubby and I just have to rely on each other and make sure we take care of each other, too. I have looked for "Mom Groups" in the area, but apparently there are not any accepting any new members at this point, or their activities are a little too advanced for 1 year olds. (Bowling? The ball weighs almost as much as the kids!)

So, now that the munchkins are a year old and on a decent sleep/nap schedule, I'm going to try to "blog" on a regular basis. I know I have found a lot of insight, ideas, support and encouragement reading other "multiple moms" blogs, so I think I'm now at a point where perhaps I can offer the same support and advice to other moms. I also want to encourage other adoptive families out there, both those who have adopted and those who are starting the process. :) There are so many things I know now, that I wish we had known when we started the adoption process!!!

So, hang on and prepare to laugh. I must say, our munchkins are a lot of work, but they are also our joy. They are so funny and make us laugh every single day.

No comments: